Just Being Me - Sippy

a simple plain jane who believes Jesus is her only saviour. she has an awesome family but in need of salvation. her current addiction is 2pm but shinhwa will always remain as the love of her life.
Monday, August 15, 2005
nursery rhyme talk
This thing has bugging my mind since yesterday. I feel like blogging it out, if not I can't have a peace of mind.


Was talking to Andrew on Saturday, there's was this tomb that's dedicated to a few babies in A Famosa Fort. They weren't even 1 year old. Then, Andrew told me that a lot of nursery rhymes that time in England was actually pretty scary because it talks about death of small kids. I was kind of freak out when I heard him saying that. He gave the "Rock-a-bye baby on the treetop" as an example.


The next day, I was talking to Renee after church when we were going towards the bus. Oh yeah, Renee cut her hair real short. I miss her long hair, no more long hair for me to play with anymore, since Laura also cut hers short. *sniff sniff* I told her about this time that has been bothering me since yesterday, then she quickly nodded her heard and agreed with whatever Andrew told me. For her, she gave me the "Ring a Ring o Rosies" as an example.


These nursery rhymes aren't as innocent as we thought they were. I used to love listening to these nursery rhymes when I'm young, singing along somemore. Now I look back at the content,all these really freaks me out. I can't help but check out other nursery rhymes online, searching out the ones that talk about death. I got some though. Here's a few examples that I will list down which really freak me out.
1. Remember, remember, the fifth of November
2. Simple Simon
3. Solomon Grundy
4. Who killed Cock Robin
5. There was an old lady
6. Humpty Dumpty
7. Cry Baby Buntin
8. Goosie, goosie, gander
9. Jack and Jill
10. Mary Mary Quite Contray
There's more nursery rhymes about children's death. This is the small part of it that I found out online.


The origins of most nursery rhymes according to a certain website reflect events in history. For example, "Ring a Ring o Rosies" is about Bubonic plaguee and "Remember Remember" was about Guy Fawkes' foiled attempt to blow up the English Houses of Parliament. All these nursery rhymes lurics were actually produced by adult to record the royal and political events of the day since direct dissent will bring punishable death.


Another reason for nursery rhyme to talk about death was that young children those days did not live long. There were many diseases those days that medicine couldn't cure since the science and technology wasn't that advance those days. That's why lots of young children died young.


There's the stuffs that I felt like updating for now. At least, that's the information that I can find online for right now. Even though nursery rhymes are scary, they are quite fun to read. How I wish I have never known the scary side of them..
posted by sippy @ 2:14 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

© 2006 Just Being Me - Sippy | Blogger Templates by Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without permission.
Learn how to Make Money Online at GeckoandFly
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health

 
 

Web This Blog
About Me


Name: sippy
Home: Malaysia
About Me:
See my complete profile

Friends
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Affiliates

make money online blogger templates